A cat has nine lives, there are nine rings of power in J.R.R. Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings, and there were nine planets in our solar system (sorry Pluto).
Now here’s nine beauty tips that you may or may not already know!
1. Vaseline is a Godsend. I know it has received bad press as of late due to the fact that it’s made out of petroleum jelly but there’s no denying that it keeps your lips smooth and flake-free. It’s also great for keeping your brows in place and if you dab a little on your eyebrows before plucking them it will ease the pain. Go Vaseline!
2. Deodorant isn’t just for armpits. If you spray some to your shoes that are causing you cuts and blisters the deodorant will stop your shoes from rubbing (works especially well on ankle straps). This is because the deodorant acts as a barrier between the shoes and your skin, to stop those pesky shoes from rubbing your flesh off.
3. Seeing as we’re on the topic of shoes, do you own a pair with black (or white) scuffs on them? Nail varnish remover on a cotton wool pad will remove those pesky scuffs like magic. Works particularly well on patent leather (but do not try on suede! It will remove the colour too).
4. There’s no need to adjust your hair anymore, because now you know that you place hairgrips in THIS WAY!! Mind-blown.
5. If you lick a cotton wool bud (only a tiny lick, and no it’s not gross) you can use it to remove excess mascara. I also use a dry one to fix my eyebrows/eye shadow – basically any loose power that’s not where you want it to be – by quickly rolling it across the area.
6. Is your Kohl eyeliner down in the stumps? Put it in the fridge overnight and sharpen it in the morning – it will be a perfect point once more.
7. Want to know how to make your smokey eyes come alive? Apply a little peach-coloured eyeshadow or blusher on to the centre of your eyelids as the final touch to your smouldering peepers and it will give your eyes a cinematic quality. Think of it as a beam of light that forever lingers on your eyelids, a la Kristen Stewart.
8. Are you a Mickey blue eyes that’s been using blue eyeliner/shadow to “bring out the colour of your eyes”? Stop! Blue doesn’t bring out blue. Imagine a sapphire on a blue cushion – do you not think if it sat upon an bronze poof it would be more prominent?
9. A very basic tip to end on: Sudocream heals all. Get it on your cuts, burns and spots to lend your skin a healing hand overnight. You gotta love that thick, white nappy rash cream!